To apply for a new Driving License in Sri Lanka, we are providing the step by step procedure one should follow to obtain the new driving license after providing the proper documents. For this one should fill a form which are available at District Secretarial Offices and also Main office in Colombo.
How to Apply for Sri Lankan Driving License?
- Applicant must be a citizen of Sri Lanka.
- Applicant should complete 18 years of age.
- Applicants has to obtain the form M.T.A 30 from the offices of the district secretarial or if any urgent basis means they can obtain from Main office in Colombo.
- After filling the form, the documents should be submitted to the district assistant commissioner for normal services and for priority services they need to submit in the head office.
- Then the applicant has to undergo with a written examination once they receive a call from the government department and the applicant should produce a proper age proof document issued by the government.
- Like the same for written examination, they will also get a call from the department for the practical examination and the applicant should show proper age proof document issues by the government.
- Once you have passed both the examination then the government will issue a temporary license which is valid for 6 months.
- The original license will be mailed you through post within 6 months.
If the candidate fails in any written or practical examination, then they can re-apply for the test up to 3 times by paying the necessary fee. All the applications should be re-directed to the below address after filling the form ‘M.T.A 30’.
Address: Assistant Commissioner – Licensing Division,
Department of Motor Traffic,
P.O Box 533, 581-341, Elvitigala Mawatha,
The fee structure to obtain the driving license is as follows.
|Service Type||Class 1 vehicles||Class 2 of Vehicles||Class 3 of Vehicles|
If the applicant failed in written examination, then the re-payment of 100 can be availed for the 3 times, if the applicant failed in practical examination then the full payment will be taken.
Documents which are required in the application process are as below.
- Original and a Xerox copy for birth certificate – Light & Heavy.
- Valid Passport or a national identity card and their Xerox copy – Light & Heavy.
- Three copies of the black and white photos of 2*2 size – Light & Heavy.
- Medical Certification from a MBBS Certified Doctor – Light.
- Medical certificate issues by the CTB Medical Institute or from a Doctor in their residential area – Heavy.
- A Certification of Competency issued by A Grade registered driving school – Heavy.
If a foreigner wants to apply for a driving license, he/she should submit the existing driving license in their own country and can apply the above mentioned fees and obtain the driving license. If the existing countries license is not in English, then he should get it translated into English by their embassy and have to provide that document to obtain driving license.
For more information on the special cases or for the visit the government information center – http://gic.gov.lk/gic